Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Working Woman Wednesday- Kim Harris

Hey guys!
It's #WWW or Working Woman Wednesday again! I am SO glad that my 1st #WWW blog post received SO much love!! Thank you!!! I just thought that it was time that someone recognize women that are actually making a positive mark in today's society. There are so many female business owners, philanthropist, advocates etc. that we know nothing about! Why not be that someone to bring attention to them! 
I definitely plan to keep #WWW posts going. Let's support each other! Hopefully, I can help inform people of all the wonderful women doing various things in our communities as well as make some connections! Not only do I want to inform, but I really want to inspire! Everybody has a STORY! By me sharing the stories of various women, I hope that at least one woman can read this and decide not to give up, to give something new a try or to keep on pushing!
This weeks #WWW is Kim Harris, owner of Sheas of Essence. Sheas of Essence is a budding handcrafted body products company that includes items such as bath bombs, sugar scrubs and body butters that are creatively infused with shea butter, mango butter, coconut oil and jojoba oil.
When asked how she decided to start her business, Kim stated, "I come from a family of entrepreneurs and as successful as my family’s businesses  have become I have to be honest that I never imagined having the torch being passed to me. Before Sheas of Essence was even birthed I always had this way of trying to recreate something. My husband and I could be at dinner and I would say “You know I can make this right?”  Even though I love to cook I knew that I had no desire to going into the catering business. As long as I can I can remember I’ve always had sensitive skin. There were very few products that I could use that wouldn’t irritate me. After noticing that I ran out of my skin moisturizer and didn’t have time to go to the store to purchase more I decided to make my own. I didn’t know what the outcome was going to be but I was up for the challenge." She went on to say that after making her first batch of body butter, she knew immediately that is what she wanted to do. Kim went into researching various natural butters, oils and other ingredients and how to create some of her favorite body products.  A year and a half later, Sheas of Essence is well on it's way to becoming a staple body product line! 

All the products have a special way of pampering and moisturizing your skin, leaving it feeling and smelling amazing. The bath bombs that are offered in a variety of yummy smelling scents are seemingly the line's best selling product. 
Kim said, "It makes me laugh when customers come up to smell them and then inquire what is the purpose of them. Most of the responses are “I don’t take baths.” I understand where they were coming from because of our daily tasks and all the hats that we may wear throughout the week rarely gives the average person just to take time to relax. You may not have time or the finances to go to the spa or get a weekly massage, but that is when our products come in to play. I challenge all customers to take time after a busy day, draw them a warm bath, light a candle (Soon I will be introducing a candle line), drop a bath bomb in and allow Sheas of Essence to go to work. I promise you will be coming back for more."

Kim gets excited when sharing her love for God and how her faith has helped her, especially with her business. Kim shared, "I find great joy when I’m allowed to be used to be a blessing to others in any capacity. When I think about each of my new and returning customers I thank God that something that he has gifted me to do has given them a chance to experience a way to relax and feel pampered after using one of Sheas of Essence products. My motto is that each product is “made with love and a prayer.” All throughout the process of preparing the products I’m praying that all of my customers needs are being met and that are able to experience and see Christ within me and their experience with Sheas of Essence."
Kim concluded by saying, "As a child of God I know that he has equipped each one of us with a gift and assignment to share with others. I had no idea that this moment of creativity would blossom into such an amazing journey. I know that everyone isn’t meant to be an entrepreneur or a small business owner but after being laid off and giving someone the power to interrupt the finances of our household I was determined to never be put in that state again."
SOE is definitely a budding business! You can can find Kim sharing her faith and her awesome products at various events all over the Houston and surrounding areas.

Keep up with Kim and all things Sheas of Essence here by following her on Instagram! 


Shop Sheas of Essence here
 
SOE owner and Creator, Kim Harris
 
Bath bombs from SOE

No comments:

Post a Comment